Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Greetings?

Paul’s greeting to Timothy in 1st Timothy 1:1 says, “Paul, and apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope.”

I don’t know about you, but there are times when I am in such a hurry to read what comes after the greeting I miss what it contains. When I studied this greeting with the help of Barclay, Paul reminds us of a few important things.

“Paul and apostle.” Paul saw himself as an ambassador or envoy of Jesus. We are familiar with ambassadors. Their job is to represent a person or country in the best possible way.

“By the command of God.” Paul thought of himself as holding a king’s commission. He was not only given a job to do, but had the authority to accomplish it.

“Christ Jesus our hope.” Jesus is only the hope we have; hope of moral victory, hope over circumstances, and hope of victory over death. Jesus is our hope.

I then need to ask myself a few questions. How am I doing as God’s ambassador? Am I representing Him well? Am I fulfilling the King’s commission? God created me for a purpose, and has gifted me to accomplish that purpose. How is my hope? Is my hope in Jesus alone, or do I hope in things other than Him?

Short greeting; powerful lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment