Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spinning an Egg

How can you tell an egg in hard-boiled or raw? Spin it. A raw egg will not spin very well. A hard-boiled egg will spin like a ball. That way, you tell what’s inside. That’s what I was able to talk about with a group of kids last night. We know what’s inside of a lot of things because we have experience with them. Some examples are a jack in the box, a jelly-filled donut, and even an inflated balloon.

If we are Christians, can people know what’s inside of us based on what they see on the outside? James 1:22 reminds us that to hear God’s Word and not do what it says is useless. When this is our approach to God’s Word, we are deceiving ourselves about what’s in us. James says we need to not only hear God’s Word, but do it as well.

I reminded the kids that God wants hearers and doers, not just doers. When people look at us, can they tell God lives in us? Do we treat others in a way that would be pleasing to God? Our actions are like spinning an egg; it will show what’s in us. Hearing and doing; easy to understand, harder to accomplish.

2 comments:

  1. yesterday when I failed God at one point b/c I was being a listener...I asked forgiveness and He restored me. He then allowed me to redeem myself thru a wonderful witness at a store in town. Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's grace, mercy and forgiveness are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete